History

KSCC A History

Cricket has been played at The Park, Stourhead from at least the 1880s. Displayed in the new pavilion (2002),
is a photograph of cricketers taking tea in the Park, although there is no precise date associated with this photo
it is estimated to date from the last but one decade of the 19th century (1880s).

More recent evidence has emerged recently when the current chairman was contacted by Mrs Shirley
Perry during 2009. She wished to donate 100 pounds to the club to mark the 100th birthday of her mother on
28th August 1909. On this day, she recounts,a cricket match between Stourton CC and Kilmington CC
was stopped as her grandfather was unable to drive the team to Kilmingtonas he had to stay at Church
Lawn (at the entrance to Stourhead garden) for the birth of his daughter. She also provided two sepia
photographs of the Stourton Cricket Team, one dated 1923 of the team (mostly unnamed) and a second of
the team in front of Stourhead House with a simple scoreboard clearly visible said also to date from the 1920s. The scoreboard reads 132-3 (possibly a very high score in those days which may account for
the photograph). Unfortunately none of the players are named in this photograph.

Other evidence is a little clearer with photos of 2 players from the 1920s (Mr Searle and Tommy Coombes)
and a photo of Kilmington & Stourton CC with names of all players and officials pictures dated 1933. It
seems then that the 2 clubs merged sometime in the late 1920s or early 1930s. A further picture of the
South and West Wilts huntsmen and farmers in cricket gear with sightscreens in the background is dated 1934.
We have no information about what happened in the 1940s and assume that the club may have folded for a few
years at this time.

CS Marriot (also known by the nickname Father) was a legspinner who played once for England in 1933 and lived
in the village of Kilmington after he retired from playing cricket and teaching at Dulwich College. Allegedly he taught Richard Lapham how to bowl legspin on the matting wicket at Kilmington during the latters boyhood (1950s).
He donated his whites from his one test match at the Oval in 1933 to the club and these can be seen in the pavilion
along with a book he wrote on the art of legspin.

It is generally accepted that the cricket square was laid in 1930s by one of the Hoare family (bankers and owners of
Stourhead Estate which was passed to National Trust in 1970s) using turf cut from Whitesheet Down (downland to the
north of the cricket ground). Phil King when working for the National trust in the 1980s uncovered evidence that the
is square was left in perpertuity for the use of inhabitants of the villages of Kilmington & Stourton once the estate
passed to the National Trust.

More recently.

The Cricket Club was resurrected in 1948-50 in Kilmington with a concrete and matting wicket but after several years
interest declined.After this games were played intermittently on the lawns at Stourhead House. In 1972 Don Davis
(to this day a resident of Kilmington) restarted the club again playing in the village of Kilmington. After a short
while he was able to get the use of the cricket square in The Park at Stourhead where cricket is still played today.

In early 1980s a group of club stalwarts improved the playing area and fixture list. They were Phil King (who first
played for the club in 1982 when working for National Trust), David Redfern, (Bruton Dentist), Richard (Dick) Lapham
(mechanic living in Kilmington), Denzil Pitcher, David Hick, Roger Stocks, Dereck Peck, Sean Taylor (baker from South
Brewham) and Hugh Middleton. Other players from this era included Nigel Pothecary, and his son Ben, Justin Walker and
Ted Snook who transferred from Mere CC. At this time the square was fenced off from cattle grazing on the outfield by
and electric fence and the outfield was not mown. Before playing his first game on the square Phil King recalls hooking
the ryegrass flowers off the square as the only wicket preparation necessary. Around this time nets took place at David
Redfern’s house in the village of Kilmington. Gang mowers were purchased around 1983 and an outfield regularly cut.
Thereafter with the electric fence now extended to include the outfield as well as the square.

Friendly matches played in 1980-90s were against teams such as closely fought contests against The Deverills CC,
Horningsham CC, Dorset Wanderers, West Wilts Nomads, and various touring teams such as Off Whites CC,
Winchester House CC. One of the biggest annual games was played against the Injured Jockeys, a game organised
by Justin Walker with help from Clive Thorman and Richard Lindley.

The 1990s saw several major changes as KSCC entered a league for the first time. Many young Kilmington players were
playing for Mere CC on Sunday afternoons in the Dorset League and they became the majority of this team. As the KSCC
ground and facilities were considered to be superior to those at Mere it was agreed that games should be played there
and after one season the KSCC adopted Mere CCs league position in Division 2 of the Dorset Sunday League. KSCC played
2nd Division for several years but were promoted to Div 1 in 2000. In the same year a side was entered into the Somerset
League for the first time (Saturdays) beginning in Div 6. KSCC made steady progress through the Divisions of the Somerset
League winning Division 6 in their first season and Division 5 three years later. After 4 years in Division 4 where the team
finished 3rd on 2 occasions the now 1st XI achieved 3 successive promotions in 2009, 2010 and 2011 and at the time of
writing (winter 2011-12) are about to play 1st Division Somerset League cricket for the first time to conincide with
cricket being played on The Park, Stourhead for 40 consecutive years.

The ground.

Phil King who had tended the ground for over 10 years left in 1993 and was replaced by David Barton for 1 year, then
Dick Lapham did most of the ground and pitchwork until 2009. During this time there is little doubt that the square and
outfield improved greatly under Dicks stewardship. An approach were made to the National Trust (our landlords) in 1995
for permission to build a new pavilion to replace the tired old shed which had served this purpose for 15 years (the shed
remains to this day but now houses mowers and other ground maintenance equipment). After prolonged negotiations about
where best to site the pavilion and an appropriate design, funding was secured from the Golden Bottle and construction
commenced in 2001. The pavilion was formally opened in April 2002 by Vic Marks (Somerset and England) some 7 years
after the project was first mooted.


Ground improvements over the past 10 years include:
 All weather pitch with support from Salisbury District Council and Lords Taverners, 2004, replaced in 2009
 2 Lane all weather nets, with support from Lords Taverners, The Golden Bottle, Mr Henry Pelham, 2005
 Sightscreens with support form ECB 2011
 Rollers, mowers etc have all been updated over the past 5 years


Junior cricket

KSCC Juniors was started in 2003 when KSCC entered an U11 team in the North Dorset Cricket Association League. At
this stage we only had 10 players (U11s played 8 a side) and several of these were aged between 8-10 years. Over
the past 9 years we have added U13 and U15 and most recently U9 teams (2010). KSCC has provided 8 players for Dorset
county age group teams since 2003 and between 20 and 30 players for District age groups sides (U10-U15). We currently
have 4 Level 2 coaches and 4 level 1s to assist the juniors to improve their game.

As these junior players have progressed from the U15s to the 2nd and 1st XIs so the standard of cricket played at the
club has improved and the numbers of playing members of the club has increased (currently 80 playing members). All this
bodes well for the future.

In 2012 KSCC was awarded its first Chance to Shine Project (cricket coaching in primary schools). David Barton
had been coaching in 2 local schools since 2010 (St Georges Bourton and Whitesheet Primary, Zeals) and this will
be extended to Milton on Stour and Wyke primary in 2012 with the help of coach Nick Knight. Developing links with
local primary schools is considered essential to ensure a regular supply of young players for the junior sides and
will contribute to a successful future for the club.